Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Patient Care Assistant Certified - Medicine II (Days) - Methodist Hospital
San Antonio, TX 78229 United States
General Statement of Duties
The PCA Certified performs a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN) in a complementary and assistive role. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance to the PCA's training, competence and skill, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel (Rule 224.6). Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions
1. Under the supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with one's training, competence and skill. Delegated tasks may include:
Obtaining vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, calorie counts, and/or simple non-sterile dressing changes
Safe patient handling: Turning and positioning, use of specialty beds, patient transfer and
use of transfer devices, ambulation assistance and use of assistive devices, restraint alternatives, oxygen use and transport, suction use, pre-operative skin preparation and/or use of sequential compression devices (SCD)
Specimen collection to include blood collection for bedside glucose testing
2. Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment to include:
Addressing identified hazards in the physical environment of the patient room to prevent patient falls
Hand hygiene and consistent use of standard precautions
Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission based precautions procedures
3. Communicates timely and accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed to include observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN in a written or verbal format following hand-off communication guidelines.
4. Assists the RN to collect data from patients on admission for patient processing and assists with patient transfer or discharge preparations as instructed.
5. Assists patients with performing activities of daily living to include bathing, shaving, oral care, toileting, grooming, changing linens, providing water, assisting with meal delivery and feeding as directed.
6. Performs hourly rounding, consistently uses AIDET when interacting with patients and answers and responds to call lights timely.
Additional Job Functions:
1. May retrieve medication from pharmacy, medication storage room or tube system and deliver to a licensed staff member.
2. Assists with orientation of new personnel as directed.
3. Supports the mission and vision of the Methodist Healthcare System. Understands and is committed to helping the Methodist Healthcare System and its associated facilities achieve its goals.
4. Must learn and comply with System and facility safety policies and rules; must use appropriate safety equipment and procedures at all times; must immediately report all unsafe conditions to supervisors; must be familiar with all safety features of equipment, tools or materials encompassed by job duties; and must check with supervisors (prior to job performance) if there is a question as to the safe procedure to be used for any job function.
5. Adheres to the MHS Code of Conduct and demonstrates ethical behavior as expected by our patients, colleagues and the community. Understands the personal obligation to report any activity that appears to violate applicable laws, rules regulations or the Code of Conduct itself.
6. Completes other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics
Education and Licensure/Certification: ALL
of the following:
1. High school graduate or equivalent education
of the following:
A. Completion of a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) training program
current CNA certification with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability
B. Completion of an EMS (Emergency Medical System) training program
current EMT certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services
C. Current MHS employee in an LVN job description as of December 1, 2011. Must
maintain one of the following:
i.Texas LVN license
ii. CNA certification with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services
iii. EMT certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
Previous PCA, CNA or EMT experience in a healthcare setting
( X ) INSIDE: Spends approximately _40_ hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time):
Sitting 10 % Standing 30 % Walking 60 % = 100%
Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient/heaviest object specific to the department.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( X ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up
to 10 lbs.
( ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects
Weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects
weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of
objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
Education, training, experience:
Terms & Conditions